In this article, I will show you how I onboarded myself onto a Bitcoin podcasting platform called Fountain. The feature-packed app is centered around the value-for-value transfer of Lightning SATs. Boost episodes with SATs! Stream SATs per minute to your favorite podcaster! Earn SATs for listening! Earn SATs for creating clips of your favorite parts and sharing them! Sorry for all the exclamations, but it’s fascinating. After you dive in, you’ll discover how Bitcoin and Lightning are creating new and unique ways for content creation and consumption.
BitBuyBit lured me into the app by hosting a special season focused on home miners called #PlebMinerMonth. Throughout the month, they have been spotlighting creative uses of mining and deep diving into new developments in the mining world via focused discussions with Bitcoiners worldwide. Currently, they have a giveaway contest for an S9 miner, and this article will show you how I entered the competition and how you can, too, if you act quickly.
Let’s get started.
- First, download the app from the app store.
- Tap the search button and type BitBuyBit. This brings up a list of episodes. I tapped one, then tapped ‘Show’ to bring me to the channel’s main profile page.
- ‘Brain Power with Jan Cepak’ is the episode we are tasked with Boosting to enter the contest. At this point, you will notice listening to the intro for about a minute; on the top of the screen, 2 SATs pop up that you’ve earned; cool! Like where this is going?
- Tap the boost button on the right side and test out a booster. At this point, you’ll notice your Fountain wallet is empty when the submit returns ‘insufficient funds. Let’s top up.
- You will need lightning SATs from another lightning wallet, such as MUUN or Blue Wallet. On the top left of the screen, tap ‘Wallet’ and then ‘Fund Wallet’ and choose the amount of SATs you will be transferring, which brings a few options. I chose the amount which I know I have available in MUUN. Copy the invoice code. Switch to your lightning wallet and tap ‘send,’ then paste the invoice code and hit send. MUUN sends the SATs. Here I encountered my first minor hiccup. Lightning SATs are supposed to be lightning fast, but for some reason, my Fountain balance took 10 minutes to update and confirm. If you have a hold-up, try again in Fountain to set a received amount; that worked for me. (update, following top-ups, are lightning fast, I think it was only the first one delayed).
- Get back to the episode ‘Brain Power with Jan Cepak’ and tap Boost again. Here you set your SAT boost amount and a small note if you wish. At this point, I ran into another small hiccup: when I clicked ‘submit,’ it returned ‘insufficient balance.’ I tried three times and had to type in my message every time, so make sure to copy your message in case you run into the same hold-up. After that, the Boost finally went through!
- Interesting to note, the ‘splits’ button shows you which percentage of the SATs are split between the creator, the developer, and an indexer. Cool.
- Now that the Boost is finished, I wanted to test some more app features, so I decided to make a clip of an excellent phrase I heard about 20 minutes into the episode. It takes a few wiggles to figure out, but it’s pretty straightforward. Tap the ‘clip’ button, and the range is auto-set to where you were in the episode, and you can adjust it by sliding the bars or taping the fine-tune buttons. Add some hashtags and tap ‘publish.’ The last hiccup I had was here. I tried twice to make a clip with a specific start and stop time, but once it was finished publishing, it was not starting at the correct time that I set, and I couldn’t figure out how to correct it. Seems a little significant that should be ironed out.
Overall this was a great experience, very well thought out, and wonderfully integrated with lightning. I will be using Fountain, stacking SATs, and supporting creators with SATs. Now get going! Boost! Hopefully, you can win that S9 and keep your home a little warmer this winter 🙂
Extra credit: Boost episode ‘Growing Bitcoin with Moses’ to enter a T-Shirt giveaway contest!
Follow @BitBuyBitPod on Twitter to find out if you are the winner, and stay tuned for future episodes.
-Thanks for following, Kidtoshi